Monday, 11 June 2012

Mile End Park - first glimpse.


Mile End Park, built on industrial land destroyed by Second World War bombing, stretches along Burdett Road and Grove Rd, creating a long patch of greenery around the busy Mile End Road. I have to say the first time I visited it I didn't particularly like it... I guess I didn't like the proximity of a big road (the park is narrow) plus it seemed a bit neglected with all the free-growing weeds... However, my recent walk along the park has convinced me that it's actually a very interesting area where you can find many fun things to do. The area of the park is divided into several parts, each offering something different. There's an interesting playground for children, outdoor gym, Art Park & Pavilion, Ecology Park & Pavilion, skateboard park, different sports pitches, Mile End Sports Centre, Karting track and more. Obviously, you can also simply lie down on the grass and have a picnic :)

As it turns out, the park has received many awards. Quoting one of the websites, it has been described as "London's quietest yet best Millenium project, far from fleshpots of the West End". As you can see my first impression of this place was rather misleading :) I am very much looking forward to the next non-rainy Saturday or Sunday, when I am planning to further explore the park. I suggest you do the same!


Something different to typical English park lawns - free growing weeds :)
walkmileendpark.co.uk
Free football, there's a voleyball net nearby too

Sign post & Arts pavilion behind
Outdoor gym
Outdoor gym
Enigmatic :) grafitti

No comments:

Post a Comment